Tuesday, March 29, 2011

30 Day Challenge- Day 5

A picture of somewhere you’ve been


This one is a little tricky, because honestly, I’ve been to a lot of places. I’m sure most people know that I grew up in the Marshall Islands, and in order to get there, travel through Hawaii is necessary. Every summer we went back to the states to live with my grandma in Orange County for 2 months. On our way to and from Kwajalein, our family usually stayed in Hawaii for a few days. So those are easy choices for me to pick, but I feel like that is too easy.

But here is a picture anyway.
Our family also went on many, many summer vacations within our summer vacation almost every year. So I thought that while I could post about those places, I'd maybe post about somewhere that I've been to only once, and haven't been able to go to again (yet- I do want to go back).
Ground Zero

I have the photographic proof that I've been here, but I don't have a scanner. So you'll have to trust me. I went to New York City with my best good friend Shannon and her family for a few days in the summer of 2002. At the time, it looked a lot like this

There was a chain link fence everywhere around, and it was just... dirty. Very dirt and dusty. Surrounding the gap in the buildings where the towers once belonged, a gigantic American flag stretched between the skyscrapers. A large wall with pictures, letters, flowers, and mementos were to the left (I can't remember if it was east/west/south of where the original buildings stood) and it felt strangely spiritual to be there. I hardly took any pictures, because the camera I had with me only had black and white film in it.
I am very anxious to visit this awesome city again, and see what Ground Zero looks like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome enough to comment